Monday, March 2, 2015
Lose Weight with Ruth: Are You Biting Into a Healthy Lifestyle?: Happy National Nutrition Month!! National Nutrition Month March is my month to shine, because it’s National Nutrition Month....
Happy National Nutrition Month!!
|National Nutrition Month|
March is my month to shine, because it’s National Nutrition Month. The theme this year is Bite Into a Healthy Lifestyle. If you are already biting healthy, bravo. If not, now is a good time to practice.
Set some goals for a healthy lifestyle:
- Adopt a healthy lifestyle and eat fewer calories
- Choose plenty of healthy foods, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, beans and nuts
- Be physically active every day
- Aim for 150 minutes a week of moderately intense physical activity. It will strengthen bones and muscles, reduce stress, and increase energy.
By achieving a healthy weight, you will reduce your risk of a chronic disease. Sound good to you?
Any questions? I can be reached at Ruth@RuthFrechman.com. To achieve a perfect healthy lifestyle, check out The Food Is My Friend Diet at www.RuthFrechman.com. Free shipping is available. Ask me about books in bulk for giveaways! Treat yourself and co-workers with the gift of health.
Friday, January 30, 2015
Lose Weight with Ruth: What Does Super Bowl Sunday and Pineapple Salsa Ha...: Serve Pineapple Salsa on Super Bowl Sunday Not a whole lot, except it's an excuse to eat and have a good time. Pineapple Sa...
|Serve Pineapple Salsa on Super Bowl Sunday|
Not a whole lot, except it's an excuse to eat and have a good time. Pineapple Salsa is a refreshing and healthy dip to serve with chips. It’s a super combination of mouth-watering sweet and heat. And it’s a great way to sneak in some nutrients on a day that may not be the healthiest.
Take advantage of the sweet pineapples in the market and score a touchdown with your family and friends. A pineapple is ripe, if the circles are all the same size from top to bottom.
2 ½ cups fresh pineapple, diced
1 cup red pepper, diced
½ cup sweet onion diced or red onion for a stronger flavor
½ cup cilantro, minced
1 tablespoon Serrano pepper, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons orange juice
Dice and mince pineapple and vegetables. Mix everything together with the juice in a bowl. The salsa can be made in the morning to let the flavors mingle.
Monday, January 19, 2015
Lose Weight with Ruth: Tomato Chipotle Jam on Puff Pastry: Tomato Chipotle Jam Want to try a unique but tasty recipe? Try my recipe for Tomato Chipotle Jam. It's slightly sweet with a refres...
|Tomato Chipotle Jam|
Want to try a unique but tasty recipe? Try my recipe for Tomato Chipotle Jam. It's slightly sweet with a refreshing hint of heat.
It all started when I received a jar of Chipotle jam, as a gift. For fun, I spread it on toast with peanut butter. When it was my turn to bring an appetizer for my monthly bunco group with all women foodies, I decided to experiment and try a savory version of the Chipotle jam.
The results were Delish! I ended up with Tomato Chipotle Jam. I used a cookie cutter to make the puff pastry a little fancy, but thin slices of toasted French bread or crackers will work, as well..
Tomato Chipotle JamIngredients:
- 1 large shallot, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15-ounce can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons red wine
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Chipotle powder
- 4 teaspoons pectin
- 1/2 package frozen puff pastry
- Heat fry pan. Add olive oil. When oil is hot, saute the shallots, onions and salt.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the pectin and simmer for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Stir in the pectin and simmer gently for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Cool and refrigerate.
- Thaw and unfold 1 sheet of puff pastry. Cut into shapes and bake according to the directions on the package.
- Spread jam on puff pastry.
Wednesday, January 7, 2015
Lose Weight with Ruth: Have You Tried Green Eggs and Ham?: I highly recommend that you check out this amazing video with a couple of delicious recipes by my friend and registered dietitian nutri...